Professor Sørensen is a highly acclaimed teacher and lecturer.
“An essential part of my musicianship is my work with students. The dialogue and the sharpened feedback I get from motivated and interested young students always keep me on my toes. And the methodical work we put in together to bring upfront the musical instincts hidden between the lines on the music sheets, is as inspirational as it can get”.
He held a fixed-term position as Professor in percussion at the Norwegian Academy of Music 2014-2018. In this period he also did research on mere projects at CEMPE and held masterclasses and lectures at other instrumental and pedagogic departments.
He is currently giving private percussion lessons as well as lecturing at conservatories and universities.
Sørensen has previously given lectures, lessons, courses & masterclasses, and adjudicated exams and PhD at the following institutions:
- Norwegian Academy of Music
- Bergen Conservatory
- Stavanger Conservatory
- Trondheim Conservatory
- Tromsø Conservatory
- Tonheim High School
- Aarhus Conservatory of Music
- Sibelius Academy, Helsinki
- Royal College of Music, Stockholm
- Ørebro University
- Vorarlberger Landeskonservatorium, Feldkirch
- Estonian Academy of Music, Tallinn
- Das Jugendjazzorkester, Deutscher Musikrat
- Lübeck Musikhochschule
- Rhapsody in School
- CIT School of Music, Cork
- West Cork Chamber Music Festival
- Conservatoire National de Paris
- Conservatoire Régional de Versailles
- Britten-Pears / Aldeburgh Music
Hans-Kristian has a broad experience playing the percussion and cimbalom within a variety of musical styles and he can teach you in
• techniques and interpretation in melodic percussion (marimba, vibraphone, xylophone)
• drum-techniques and interpretation of percussion repertoire
• help to build repertoire within solo, chamber music and orchestra
• help to prepare for concerts, new grades and auditions
• drum-set, hand-drums, frame drums, Brazilian percussion
• Cimbalom (Hungarian type)